AGENDA: GroupY's Emerge brand-building conference returns on Jan. 6.
SURFRIDER: "Protect What You Love" holiday appeal.
MOSS ADAMS: Plan now for tax season.
Details on Industry Insight.
Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif., June 2013 – After much anticipation, the 10th Anniversary of Go Skateboarding Day is right around the corner. On June 21st, 2013 skateboarders around the globe will celebrate the pure exhilaration and creativity of one of the most influential activities in the world.
The International Association of Skateboard Companies (IASC) will host and participate in a series of premiere, fun-filled events in Washington D.C. This includes a partnership with the Smithsonian’s Lemelson Center for the Study of Invention and Innovation, which recently launched a broad collecting initiative focusing on skateboarding and skate culture. As part of that effort, the Lemelson Center and IASC, are hosting Innoskate – a major public festival exploring innovation through the lens of skate culture.
With the Washington Monument as a backdrop, INNOSKATE will take place on and near a skate ramp built facing the National Mall on the National Museum of American History’s plaza. Celebrating skateboarding’s constant push for progression, leading figures from skating’s history and current pro skateboarders will present and discuss innovations in skate culture. Innoskate will feature skate demonstrations, panel discussions, films, donations of skate objects to national collections, and other programs that highlight the impact of skateboarding’s innovations in American culture. (See Attached Schedule)
In addition, there will be a variety of key events happening around the world in celebration of GSD. All of the information regarding these key events can be easily tracked down using the Know Skateboarding app, created by Know Projects. The app launched on Feb. 5, and has fluidly integrated several popular web-based services and content into one. Know Skateboarding is the only app you need to keep up with all the daily happenings in the world of skateboarding. Skate videos from YouTube and all over the web, daily news and Twitter updates, fun photo filters, Instagram photos, contests, live webcasts of major skate events and much more. Constantly updated, easily searchable and best of all it's free! Download for iOS or Android at http://knowskateboarding.com
HOW TO GET INVOLVED:
Here are some events across the U.S. people can attend to support GSD 2013:
· KAPAAU, HI - Meet legendary pro skateboarder, George Orton at Roots Skatepark –Kamehameha Park in Kapaau, Hawaii. This is their 5th year celebrating Go Skateboarding Day at the park and there are plans for a parade, contest jam, music, food and prizes. The event starts at 10:00 and ends at 4:00. For more information visit : http://skate4roots.wordpress.com/.
· BOSTON, MA – On April 15, 2013 the Boston Marathon was attacked. On June 21, 2013 Go Skate for Boston is asking people to show their support for Boston by skating the Boston Marathon route. The event starts at noon at the start of the course. For more information visit: https://www.facebook.com/GoSkateForBoston
· WICHITA, KS – Bangers Under the Bridge – This event is presented by Wichita Skateboarding Society, a new skateboarding organization in the city of Wichita, KS. This is their first event and all funds will go directly into skateboarding projects. There will be live music, local art and a day of skating. This is an all-day event. For more information visit: https://wichitaskateboarding.squarespace.com/
· AUSTIN, TX – Emerica’s Wild in the Streets will be taking place in Austin, TX at the Austin BMX Skate Park, 1213 Shoal Creek Boulevard near House Park. The ride starts at 6:00 p.m. and will be benefitting JoJo Williamson. In addition, skateboards will be donated to the Boys & Girls Clubs of Austin Area, in partnership with Board for Bros, a non-profit organization that collects and refurbishes skateboards and gives them to children who can't afford to buy their own. For more information visit: http://emerica.com/news/2013/06/03/emerica-wild-in-the-streets-2013-june-21-austin-tx/
· NEW YORK, NY – CCS, Nike SB and 5Boro will be hitting the streets of New York on Friday with a full day’s worth of skateboarding revelry. The day starts at Maloof Park, then the ride takes everyone to Williamsburg Bridge and into the city where they skate down to the LES skatepark followed by an all out skate session at the park. The CCS crew along with Nike SB pros Paul Rodriquez, Stefan Janoski, Ishod Wair, Shane O’Neill, Clark Hassler, Alex Olson, Gino Iannucci and more. There will be tons of prize givaways including a chance to win a $250.00 CCS shopping spree. For more information visit: http://blog.ccs.com/go/article/view/skate/news/262951/go-skateboarding-day-ccs-5boro-and-nike-sb-take-over-nyc
More events are happening around the globe, including in Romania, Costa Rica, Columbia, Afghanistan, United Arab Emirates, Israel, South Africa
Czech Republic,Poland, China and Guatemala.
The International Association of Skateboard Companies is the member-owned not-for-profit trade association of skateboarding. The mission of the IASC is to represent the global skateboarding community with a united voice by listening, understanding and acting on the needs of skateboarders and the skateboard industry. IASC’s goals are to promote skateboarding, increase participation, educate and save our members money. IASC serves its members and the skateboarding community by focusing on areas that affect not only the business but the overall sustainability and health of skateboarding as a whole. For more information please visit: http://theiasc.org/.
About Go Skateboarding Day
Go Skateboarding Day, held June 21st of every year, is the official holiday of skateboarding. Event locations are disclosed at local skate shops and on http://facebook.com/goskateboardingday, where you will also find info on how to create your own event, fundraiser or rally and more. While the holiday grows, the mission remains the same: Go skateboarding and have fun!
About Lemelson Center for the Study of Invention and Innovation
The Lemelson Center has led the study of invention and innovation at the Smithsonian since 1995. The Lemelson Center for the Study of Invention and Innovation’s activities advance scholarship on the history of invention, share stories about inventors and their work and nurture creativity in young people. The center embodies a philosophy akin to that of the inventors it studies, of valuing creativity and embracing the potential rewards of intellectual risk-taking. The Center is supported by The Lemelson Foundation, a private philanthropy established by one of the country’s most prolific inventors, Jerome Lemelson, and his family. The Smithsonian’s Lemelson Center is located at the National Museum of American History. For more information, visit http://invention.smithsonian.org