AEO Inc. Announces New Sustainability Goals
American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. (NYSE: AEO) today unveiled new sustainability goals through 2023 and beyond, which underscore the company’s purpose and values to make the world a better place for all of its stakeholders. Doing the right thing, continually innovating and caring about the global community is foundational to AEO’s culture. The company outlines its commitment to reduce energy and water within its production supply chain and to source more sustainable raw materials.
“At AEO we focus on youth and their optimism toward the future, so building a better world for generations to come is fundamental to our brands, values and purpose,” commented Jay Schottenstein, Executive Chairman and Chief Executive Officer. “We pledge to accelerate sustainability improvements across our entire organization, and throughout the supply chain, holding ourselves accountable through the adoption of science-based targets. As a leading retailer, we are dedicated to working across the industry to create systemic changes in garment manufacturing.”
AEO’s Sustainability Goals:
- Achieve carbon neutrality in all of AEO’s owned and operated facilities (offices, stores, distribution centers) and employee business travel by 2030.
- Reduce carbon emissions 40% by 2030 and 60% by 2040 in AEO’s manufacturing from a 2018 base year.
- Implement the following throughout the supply chain by 2023:
- Ensure that 50% of water used in our laundries is recycled.
- Reduce water usage in jeans production by 30%.
- Ensure that wastewater from water-intensive facilities is free from hazardous chemicals.
- All cotton used in products will be 100% sustainably sourced.
- Use 50% sustainable polyester.
- Ensure that 100% of viscose is from non-endangered forests and increase sourcing of sustainably produced viscose fibers.
AEO’s commitment to sustainability is ongoing and the company will continue to:
- Work together as an industry leader to build partnerships in order to contribute to broad changes within garment manufacturing.
- Reduce the use of plastic in stores, offices and throughout the supply chain, and shift to recycled plastic content where possible.
- Strategically partner with industry initiatives and multi-stakeholder organizations to influence policy change.
- Uphold a commitment to recycling and paper reduction in our owned facilities.
- Encourage customers to reduce apparel waste through jeans recycling in American Eagle stores and bra recycling in Aerie stores.
AEO Inc. is a member of the Sustainable Apparel Coalition, Better Cotton Initiative and pledged to the CanopyStyle Initiative. AEO is also engaging with the Science Based Targets Initiative to validate targets to mitigate the effects of climate change. For information and regular updates on AEO’s sustainability efforts, visit www.aeo-inc.com/sustainability.
About American Eagle Outfitters, Inc.
American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. (NYSE: AEO) is a leading global specialty retailer offering high-quality, on-trend clothing, accessories and personal care products at affordable prices under its American Eagle® and Aerie® brands. Our purpose is to show the world that there’s REAL power in the optimism of youth. The company operates more than 1,000 stores in the United States, Canada, Mexico, China and Hong Kong, and ships to 81 countries worldwide through its websites. American Eagle and Aerie merchandise also is available at more than 200 international locations operated by licensees in 25 countries. For more information, please visit www.aeo-inc.com.