World Surf League Announces Recipients of WSL PURE Grant Program
In celebration of Earth Day, the World Surf League (WSL) announces the recipients of the second annual WSL PURE grant program, which has been awarded to organizations in key WSL regions whose work is in support of We Are One Ocean™, WSL’s campaign to protect and conserve the global ocean. WSL PURE is the non-profit partner of WSL.
The 2022 recipients have been chosen in Hawaii, Portugal, Indonesia, South Africa, California, and Mexico, and each grant has a unique connection to the 2022 Championship Tour:
- Nā Kama Kai, Hawaii: a non-profit that empowers keiki, ‘children’, by connecting them to the kai and ʻāina, ‘ ocean and land,’ to instill a greater sense of aloha and kuleana, ‘love and privileged responsibility’, for the natural environment and themselves. Their grant-funded project will teach ocean safety, conservation, and stewardship to youth around the island of Oʻahu.
- ReGeneration Surf Coalition, Portugal: a coalition of local partners in Portugal, including Mossy Earth, Sea Forester, Oceans and Flow, and Zero Waste Lab, from the fields of Ocean literacy education, scientific research, ecosystem restoration, and community engagement with a shared mission: to regenerate the ocean by engaging this generation of surfers. This grant will help restore the ocean by replanting kelp forests in Peniche, creating zero waste-themed workshops for local community members, and providing ocean conservation education to youth.
- Surf Conservation Partnership, Indonesia: The Surf Conservation Partnership (SCP) is a cutting-edge collaboration between Conservation International and Save The Waves Coalition to protect the world’s best waves and irreplaceable marine and coastal ecosystems. In Indonesia, the SCP works with the national conservation organization, Konservasi Indonesia, and other partners to safeguard surf breaks and conserve surrounding beaches, forests, and coral reef ecosystems. This grant will support local action in G-Land to protect coastal ecosystems, address plastic pollution, restore critical habitat, strengthen sea turtle protection, and build capacity for long-term conservation of this legendary wave.
- Freedom Riders Surf Therapy Programme, South Africa: the program brings surf therapy and ocean education to the youth of Jeffreys Bay. Through the help of caring adults and a supportive peer group, children are able to build a positive self-concept by independently mastering surfing and meditation. Ocean education and awareness are included in the curriculum, inspiring the young participants to become ocean activists and community leaders.
- Native Like Water, California and Mexico: preparing and integrating teens and adults of under-represented populations into ocean recreation, conservation, wellness, and inter-generational cultural exploration. The program focuses on a sacred relationship to water through an Indigenous lens. Through curated cultural conservation experiences and travel, NLW creates scholarship and support for endangered Indigenous communities in California and internationally. This grant will create an Indigenous Narrative Ocean Stewardship Program that reintegrates youth and adults into ocean recreation and conservation.
2021 WSL PURE grantee, SOS Mata Atlântica, in Brazil will continue their work in 2022 on an awareness campaign to engage local governments and communities to take action to protect important coastal ecosystems, including mangroves, dunes and coral reefs, along the Brazilian Atlantic Forest.
“We are thrilled to announce the recipients of the 2022 WSL PURE grant program and are humbled by the incredible work of these organizations,” said Emily Hofer, Executive Director of WSL PURE. “Last year’s grant recipients protected and restored surf ecosystems in Brazil, Mexico, Hawaii, and California and led a youth conservation summit in Africa. We look forward to supporting the 2022 WSL PURE grantees in bringing their projects to life this year. In particular, we are excited to see the investment in youth and youth education as part of every one of these projects. We at the WSL and WSL PURE are thrilled to use our platform to share this inspiring work and impact with our fans around the world.”
This Earth Day, and throughout this season, the WSL’s We Are One Ocean campaign continues to be front-and-center for WSL athletes and fans through a series of education and conservation initiatives, including event-based activations highlighting the great work of local grassroots organizations around the globe. Follow the WSL Championship Tour at worldsurfleague.com to find out more about how We Are One Ocean activations are coming to life.
The WSL PURE grant program is supported by SHISEIDO, who return in 2022 for a second year as WSL’s Global Sustainability Partner.
About the WSL
Established in 1976, the World Surf League™ (WSL™) is the home of the world’s best surfing. A global sports, media and entertainment company, the WSL oversees international tours and competitions, a studios division creating over 500+ hours of live and on-demand content, and via affiliate WaveCo, the home of the world’s largest high performance, human-made wave. Headquartered in Santa Monica, California, the WSL has regional offices in North America, Latin America, Asia Pacific, and EMEA.
The WSL annually crowns the men’s and women’s surfing World Champions. The global Tours and Competition division oversees and operates more than 180 global contests each year across the Championship Tour, the development tiers, including the Challenger, Qualifying and Junior Series, as well as longboard and big wave properties.
Launched in 2019, WSL Studios is an independent producer of unscripted television projects, including documentaries and series, which provide unprecedented access to athletes, events, and locations around the world. WSL events and content are distributed on linear television in over 743M+ homes worldwide and across digital and social media platforms around the world, including WorldSurfLeague.com.
Kelly Slater Wave Co. includes the Surf Ranch Lemoore facility and the utilizing and licensing of the Kelly Slater Wave System.
The WSL is dedicated to changing the world through the inspirational power of surfing by creating authentic events, experiences, and storytelling to inspire a growing, global community to live with purpose, originality, and stoke.
For more information, please visit WorldSurfLeague.com.
WSL PURE leverages the WSL’s incredible platform to shine a light on the people making a difference — environmentalists, athletes, advocacy organizations, communities, individuals — and collaborates with world-class, non-profit partners.
For more information, please visit wslpure.org