Macy’s Accelerates the Growth of Its Off-Mall, Small-Format Strategy
Today, Macy’s announced that, as part of its Polaris strategy, the company will open four new off-mall, small-format stores this fall. The locations will include Market by Macy’s, a smaller store that offers customers more to love with its curated assortment of the latest fashion trends, as well as the first-ever dual Market by Macy’s and Macy’s Backstage off-price location.
“At Macy’s, we thrive on retail being a dynamic business requiring continuous analysis, reinvention and innovation. As customer preferences and buying behaviors change, we continue to evolve to deliver the experience our customers expect,” said Marc Mastronardi, Chief Stores Officer at Macy’s. “As exciting brand extensions, Market by Macy’s and Macy’s Backstage each offer unique shopping experiences – one celebrates discovery and convenience, while the other appeals to the customer who loves the thrill of the hunt for a great value.”
Throughout Fall 2022, the following locations will open in shopping centers.
- Market by Macy’s will open in Johns Creek Town Center on August 20 at 3630 Peachtree Pkwy., Suwanee, GA. The store marks the third location in the metro-Atlanta area, following Market by Macy’s openings in 2021 at Presidential Markets and Southpoint.
- Market by Macy’s will debut in the St. Louis area on THF Blvd. in Chesterfield Commons with an immersive shopping space focused on discovery and convenience.
- The first dual Market by Macy’s and Macy’s Backstage store will open this fall in Chicagoland at 9700 South Western Ave., Evergreen Park, IL. Customers can shop at both stores all under one roof, with Market by Macy’s located on the first floor and Backstage on the second floor.
As a key pillar of Polaris, the company is focused on repositioning its physical store footprint to better serve its customers and effectively support omnichannel market sales growth. Off-mall, small formats play several roles in the company’s Polaris strategy by either expanding its presence in a current market, maintaining market presence by replacing underperforming locations or entering new markets where Macy’s doesn’t have a presence.
As part of Macy’s ongoing assessment of its store portfolio, it has decided to close the Macy’s Chesterfield location and will replace it with the new Market by Macy’s near Chesterfield Commons.
“We’re pleased to continue to serve the St. Louis area and look forward to welcoming our customers to Market by Macy’s,” continued Mastronardi. “This announcement marks both our first replacement location and, separately, our first, off-mall dual location.”
Macy’s off-mall expansion
Macy’s off-mall expansion demonstrates Macy’s commitment to continue to evolve and innovate the retail industry.
- Since 2015, Macy’s Backstage has expanded to more than 300 Macy’s stores nationwide, including nine freestanding locations. The newest Backstage freestanding location, Grapevine Mills, opened Spring 2022 in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.
- In 2020, the first Market by Macy’s debuted in the Dallas-Fort Worth area at Southlake.
- During the 2021 calendar year, four new stores were introduced to the public; Presidential Markets and South Point in the Atlanta metro area, and WestBend and Highlands at Flower Mound in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.
- By the end of 2022, Macy’s plans to expand Market by Macy’s to eight total locations.
Macy’s strives to optimize a seamless customer experience across all touchpoints. Similar to full-line Macy’s stores, Market by Macy’s and Macy’s Backstage customers can pay their bill or pick up orders from the “At Your Service” desk inside the store, a dedicated location for seamless Macy’s store pick-ups and returns. Shoppers can earn and redeem Star Rewards and use their Macy’s credit card at both locations creating a seamless experience. Customers without a Macy’s card can enroll in the complimentary Bronze rewards program in-store or online at macys.com/starrewardsand earn on every purchase.
In preparation for this year’s expansion, Market by Macy’s and Macy’s Backstage will hire a range of positions to enhance the customer shopping experience. As a preferred employer, Macy’s is committed to all colleagues and their well-being. Macy’s offers exciting career opportunities, competitive pay, a bilingual work environment, merchandise discount, flexible scheduling, and access to a new debt-free education program for part-time and full-time colleagues. New job opportunities will be posted on macysinc.com/careers as they become available.
For a list of Market by Macy’s stores and hours, visit macys.com/marketbymacys. Images and b-roll footage can be found here. For a list of Macy’s Backstage stores and hours, visit macysbackstage.com. Images and b-roll footage can be found here.
Macy’s, the largest retail brand of Macy’s, Inc. (NYSE: M), serves as the style source for generations of customers. With one of the nation’s largest e-commerce platforms powered by macys.com and mobile app, paired with a nationwide network of stores, Macy’s delivers the most convenient and seamless shopping experience, offering great values in apparel, home, beauty, accessories and more. Macy’s gives customers even more ways to shop and own their style through an off-price assortment at Macy’s Backstage and at our highly curated and smaller store format, Market by Macy’s. Each year, Macy’s provides millions with unforgettable experiences through Macy’s 4th of July Fireworks® and Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade® and helps our customers celebrate special moments, big and small. We’re guided by our purpose—to create a brighter future with bold representation that empowers more voice, choice and ownership for our colleagues, customers and communities.