Senior Technical Designer
Are you the kind of person who gets bored by managers that don’t push you, by jobs that don’t stretch you, by cultures that move too slow?
-Are you a high achiever, with a track record of beating aggressive goals? You know–the type of person who is always looking to top last year?
If this sounds like you, read on…
Zumiez has big goals for our Technical Design team. We’re working hard to collaborate with an awesome team of designers, developers, production and sourcing to develop a broad range of great looking, great fitting products across all apparel categories.
This is where you come in.
The Senior Technical Designer position manages the technical aspects of one or more assigned apparel categories from initial design development prototypes to final approval for production. This role is responsible for leading fit sessions in collaboration with Design and Product Development by ensuring the technical, functional and physical garment fit is appropriately executed to achieve the design aesthetic. The Sr. Technical Designer will identify potential production, quality and costing challenges as it relates to the construction of garments and make recommendations. They will effectively communicate to business partners, vendor/agent partners, and factories on all development updates to facilitate the results required. The Senior Technical Designer will play a critical role in maintaining our consistency as a trusted leader in the apparel sector.
Focus of this position is extensive analyzation of existing patterns/fit blocks/grade rules that exist in the Private Label department, with the goal of streamlining processes, creating consistency between factories and brands regarding fit and grade.
JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Executes the technical design process for assigned product categories, including requesting evaluating and approving all prototype, fit, PP and TOP samples to determine compliance of specs, construction, quality and design intent through sample measurement, tech pack review, and BOM review; Updates tech packs with current information for BOM, construction templates, and measurements, where applicable
- Researches and analyzes branded product, in conjunction with Zumiez private label products, with assessment toward resolving fit, pattern and construction issues ???
- Work closely in collaboration with Technical Design and Product Development Director to refine product life-cycle including key time and action checkpoints, enhance and evolve processes and procedures as the business evolves; while simultaneously striving to elevate the quality of the product.
- Maintains a weekly and seasonal overview Sample Tracking log through Proto receipt, all Fit Stages, and TOP submits (new and reorders).
- Tracks and manages workflow and workload for own product to ensure product areas are maintained with cross-functional teams while partnering with the Product Development team on critical priorities, as needed.
- Evaluates samples from prototype to PP sample stage for fit, measurement, pattern shaping, and functionality to ensure fit and proper styling
- Prepares for fittings, by measuring sample to be fit, cross-examine sample against style Tech Pack and against the previous fit samples to ensure previous comments have been corrected, bringing previous fits to fit session for review if needed; Attends and leads the fit session on live model(s) or mannequin(s) and takes initiative in their assigned product category(s).
- Articulates brand standards to all parties, agents, and final manufacturers; Issues grading guidelines to vendors after fit approval.
- Benchmark our fit and quality standards against other key fashion companies to ensure best in class fit and construction; Checks construction and quality of product to ensure sample has proper execution for garment category and fabrication. Identify potential issues and make appropriate recommendations.
- Collaborate with multiple internal departments and vendor partners to ensure products meet or exceed all requirements; Provides technical direction, internally and externally, on corrective actions needed to bring samples to brand fit standards. Utilizes written comments, sketches, photos, or pattern making as needed to communicate.
- Communicates fit and balances issues via easily understandable written and/or visual methods; as well as and including paper pattern adjustments.
- Anticipates and resolves any potential pre-production and production problems while in the fit process. Partners with vendors in the resolution of problems as necessary; Responsible for reviewing pre-production samples (PP’s) for adherence to approved fit and construction standards and executes comments as needed to complete the PP approval process and move the process forward to production. Partners with Production Manager as needed to resolve issues on PP’s and in relation to timelines
- Work in collaboration with team members to improve efficiency through clearer communication, to simultaneously reduce fit samples and overall development timeline
- Executes fit comments in a timely manner to ensure the fit process stays in line with production and action timelines while partnering with the Product Development team on lead time priorities, where applicable.
- Investigate by category consistency between block patterns, grades and overall fit by brand inside of category fit
- Responsible for participating in tracking core body measurements on live fit model, grade rule approval, maintaining and updating pattern block library, and cross-referencing existing bodies to expedite the fit process as directed or assigned
- Develop, prepare and execute all aspects of fit and construction details for assigned categories from proto through production
Develops and maintain block specs and library for assigned categories; Develops basic block patterns through physical pattern or pattern diagram
- Must be able to inspect all aspects of a given product, including color, materials and trim, construction and stitch details.
- Mentors TD team associates and assistants in one or more specialty categories.
Influences and guides Technical Design partners as needed, requested, and where applicable to leverage technical knowledge and experience to support a strong team atmosphere and product execution.
- Recruits, auditions, and manages live models for fit sessions; Direct and coordinate fit sessions with live models and multiple other appropriate attendees
- May be assigned other duties and projects based on business
JOB REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS:
- 10+ years previous experience as a Technical Designer, with expert knowledge in multiple product categories, Knits and Woven’s, Men’s and Women’s; including patternmaking and construction experience with full knowledge of development, production process, and timelines for Sweaters + Cut and Sew Knits product categories.
(Prior Design experience is a plus)
- College degree in Patternmaking, Fashion Design or Product Development.
- Expert understanding of Technical Design including construction, fit, fabric science and characteristics in relation to design intent & performance characteristics.
- Proficient working knowledge of patternmaking and application of patternmaking within the capacity of technical design as a tool for communicating fit review and/or requested pattern revisions for progressive improved fit of product category.
- Demonstrates the ability to provide effective and cost-efficient pattern solutions with applied understanding of apparel construction, material construction and properties related to fit.
- Must be proficient with knowledge and skill in commercial fit and pattern standards, corrections, grading, construction manufacturing methods, sewing and technical drawing.
- Experience in grading and the ability to understand grade rules for multiple categories
Awesome culture, company events, discount at Zumiez stores, medical, dental, vision, life, bonus potential, 401(k), Employee Stock Purchase Program